How to change name of birth certificate

If your age, sex, or birthplace are incorrect, you can file to have them corrected without a court order.

Most states also allow you to update your sex on your birth certificate if you are transgender. However, you will have to provide a court order or other legal verifying documents in this case.

Correcting a Vital Record

Contact the local vital records office in your state and request a Birth Certificate Correction Form. Fill it out and submit with an original copy of your birth certificate, photo ID, and verifying documents. However, requirements will change from state to state. Ask your local vital records office for further information.

You will also need original hospital records to change your listed birthplace or date of birth. For example, if the name of one parent is not on your birth certificate or if it is misspelled. Also, you might just like to make other adjustments. You will need an original certified copy of your birth certificate as well as supporting documentation.

You, your parents, and your siblings can request changes to your birth certificate depending on the circumstance. However, in most cases, if you are no longer a minor, only you can approve changes to your birth certificate. Requesting changes to your birth certificate also requires having a certified birth certificate, which only a close family member can obtain. If you have recently changed your name, check our article on what to do after you have updated your name.

Birth Certificate May 22, Jannet Williams.

Sub Navigation

By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time. However, you can apply to re-register the birth if the natural parents get married at a later date. You can apply to change who the recorded father is if you can prove that the man named on the certificate is not the natural father of the child.

Change a Birth Certificate

Examples of proof include:. If your application is approved, a correction is made in the register in the office for the area where your child was born. The original information will always be shown in the register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

All full birth certificates that are issued after the correction will include the note in the margin. I would like to change my name down to a shorter nickname. I was born in Georgia but I currently reside in California and have never been back to Georgia since leaving at 1 year old.

How would I go about this? Hello Alex. To change your birth certificate, you will need to contact the Vital Records Amendments agency in Georgia for further guidance.

How To Change Name on Birth Certificate & S.S Card

What steps would we have to take to correct my husbands name. When he was 10 yrs old his father passed away in an oilfield accident and the lawyers had his named changed which they took off his middle name and left his mothers maiden name added his fathers last name. They also never changed his ss and we are having a lot of trouble trying to straighten it out. What can or needs to be done?

Department of Health | Vital Statistics | Correcting a Vital Record

Hello Marcy. We recommend that your husband contact the amendments and corrections department of the vital records office responsible for issuing his original birth certificate. Inquire as to what steps to follow in order to obtain corrected birth certificate. It is possible he may be required to get a court order to legally change or modify his name on his birth certificate. In this case, he will need to contact the office of the court that handles name changes and then fill out and submit a petition for a change of name with the correct office.

Hello Nicklas. We are sorry to hear about your situation. The first thing to do would be to contact the vital records agency where you were born to determine the requirements will be to amend your birth certificate to include your first name. Requirements can vary from state to state so we cannot give you a definitive answer. My husband now my ex-husband put down my stage name and he was supposed to correct this 16 years ago.

I have tried to research on how to proceed. It would be amazing to get help on this. Hello Lisa. We will need a bit more information in order to offer you proper guidance. Please email us at vitals. He is two years younger than me but the certificate shows that we are the same age. When we met he was lying about his age and he is still doing it.

Also, the time of birth is incorrect. The certificate says she was born at AM which is absolutely wrong. She was actually born at PM. Hello Tawanna. Since many states have different requirements for correcting a birth certificate, we recommend that you contact the Vital Records Corrections and Amendments office in the city where your daughter was born. They should be able to tell you the steps you will need to take.

I was born outside of the U. S in Thailand. When we came to the U.

  • Filing petition for Change of First Name (CFN) or Correction of Clerical Error/s (CCE).
  • chapter 62 texas code of criminal procedure;
  • contacting vital check death certificates?
  • What Else You Need to Know;
  • kenneth ray baker death record!

S, my uncle mistakenly entered the year as my birth year, but my real birth year was Who should I approach this situation to? Hello Kang. Thanks for reaching out. If you are looking to correct an error on your U.

  1. Correct a birth registration.
  2. how to obtain a pa birth certificate;
  3. Changing the name on your birth certificate | Deed Poll Office;
  4. searching aiken county criminal court sentencing?
  5. Department of State. Otherwise, you could contact the Thai embassy for guidance. But, will that undo my legally married name? My middle name that I received in Confirmation, I use the initial in all my affairs. I just want my birth certificate, to show the spelling of my first name, the way i have been using it, my whole life since grade school I do not want the middle name added to the birth certificate, because that is NOT how my life happened.